6/11/12

CONDEMN THIS: Clock Work and Oranges

Recently, I bought a $5 DVD of Clockwork Orange by Stanley Kubrick. I watched in utter astonishment, and although I had not seen the movie since god knows when (the 70s?, the 80s?) I did not remember the - well - explicit scenes...so of course, I pause said DVD and run to 
Google
and

American censorship

In the United States, A Clockwork Orange was rated X in its original release form. Kubrick later, voluntarily, replaced some 30 seconds of sexually explicit footage, from two scenes, with less bawdy action, for an R rating re-release in 1973. Current DVDs present the original X-rated form, and only some of the early 1980s VHS editions are the R-rated form.[22][23]
The National Catholic Office for Motion Pictures rated it C ("Condemned") because of the explicit sex and violence. Conceptually, said rating of condemnation forbade Roman Catholics from seeing A Clockwork Orange. In 1982, the Office abolished the "Condemned" rating; hence, films the Conference of Bishops deem to have unacceptable sex and violence are rated O, "Morally Offensive".[24]

Oh, my do I remember Condemned Movies....


this movie is CONDEMNED...
AND I'M TRYING TO FIND ALL THOSE MOVIES NOW. (i REMEMBER LIZ TAYLOR MOVIES WERE ALWAYS CONDEMNED...

No comments: